The 2011 installment of the Horror-Thon was more of an endurance test than ever before thanks to a strange programming slate that had me nodding off by the second film. The Exhumed gang themselves will be the first to say that you can’t please everybody and I’m of the mindset that the film choices come second to the event itself, which is one of Philadelphia’s most consistently creative and admired celebrations of cinema (by the like-minded, at least). Here’s the slate of previously unannounced films alongside my short reactions:
1. Psychomania (1973) Fun.
2. Rodan (1956) Boring.
3. Frightmare (1983) Boring.
4. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) Important film, but I wasn’t in the mood.
5. The Dead (2010) Well made, but boring.
6. Trick or Treat (1986) Tons of fun.
7. Night Warning (1983) Best film of the ‘Thon.
8. Frankenhooker (1990) Great film, pristine print.
9. Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976) Boring.
10. Werewolf Woman (1976) Boring.
11. Blood Diner (1987) Boring, we left during this.
12. The Burning (1981)
13. Maximum Overdrive (1986)
14. Meet the Feebles (1989)
Regardless of my succinct personal reactions to the films themselves, it was, as always, a memorable event. And that’s all I can muster right now, it’s been an exhausting month. See you next year!